The Blue Reef Divers Scuba Academy commenced in March 2010 at Jakaranda Children’s Home.
In conjunction with Bluereefdivers we aim to develop the skills and the self-esteem of some of the Jakaranda Children’s Home’s scholars over a period of three years. The project raises awareness of the importance of protecting the aquatic environment, teaches its participants about nature, and generates more caring attitudes towards the environment.
Children with scuba diving skills and qualifications can secure a future in this diverse industry. Skills development as well as an increased awareness of the importance of aquatic conservation is two of the fundamental objectives.
The Scuba Academy aspires to achieve a paradigm shift in the minds of the learners to care more for the environment and to teach the learners about the many ways that they can make a difference. We incorporate the conservation principles of Project AWARE, an international conservation initiative, in its training material to help teach the learners about the importance of conservation.
Traditionally, learners at the Jakaranda Children’s Home are less trusting of people and circumstances due to their past experiences. Scuba diving is underlined by a system of trust, which the academy aims to instill in the hearts of these young learners.
The academy uses scuba diving instruction as an avenue to skill its learners in a field that will potentially provide them with employment opportunities once they leave the security of the Jakaranda Children’s Home.
The first 12 divers were chosen and trained during April 2010. Huge success were obtained with kids becoming scuba instructors.
The children undergo swim training before they commence their entry-level scuba diving course. The diving course includes theoretical training, swimming pool dives, lake dives and sea dives.
Once the scholars have obtained their PADI Open Water certification, the newly qualified divers are evaluated and selected to receive advanced scuba diving training during the following year.
After the advanced training is complete, the divers who show a keen aptitude for a specialized career in diving will be further selected to receive focused training in the area that best suits them individually.
Specialist training will take place in the final year, hereby completing the 3-year scuba diving program.
The spectrum of specialist training is broad and can include National Geographic Diver, AWARE Fish Identification, Coral Reef Conservation, Underwater Naturalist, Peak Performance Buoyancy, Digital Underwater Photography, Underwater Videographer, and many more.
In the ever-growing diving industry, employment opportunities for divers, whether entry-level, certified or specialist divers are broad. Bluereefdivers Academy, with its sizeable network, will help its learners to find employment after their departure from the Jakaranda Children’s Home.
Project AWARE is an international conservation initiative managed by the Project AWARE Foundation. The foundation is the scuba diving industry’s leading non-profit environmental organization and is dedicated to the conservation of the aquatic ecosystems. Project AWARE focuses on education, advocacy and action in its efforts to preserve the underwater environment. The Bluereefdivers Scuba Academy incorporates the following subject matter from Project AWARE in its training programs:
- The ocean commons and coastal zone issues
- Fisheries challenges and sustainability
- Coral environment overview and inhabitants
- The role of the scuba diver in protecting aquatic environments
Our ocean conservation adventure started as a project – an environmental ethic initiated by the Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI®) in the late 80’s. Project AWARE and PADI share a rich partnership that has been critical to our historical success and organizational growth. Many times, we are confused as one in the same. This is how important our partners are to us – we are co-creators and allies in our daily work. We inspire, inform and provide the tools needed to engage and connect individuals, governments, NGOS, and businesses who share our values and vision for a clean, healthy ocean.
HOW? We invite you to participate in this developmental program. Opportunities include the provision of diving gear, sea life posters, aquatic books, informative DVD’s, medical supplies, and funding. For additional opportunities, please contact a BlueReef Divers or Jakaranda Children’s Home Marketing Department.
WHY? Our purpose with the Scuba project is to develop skills and self-esteem, while raising awareness of the importance of protecting the aquatic environment and learning more about nature.
By obtaining certain skills through scuba diving and qualifying up to a certain level, a child can secure a future with ample job opportunities in this fast-growing industry.
BENEFITS FOR YOU!The Bluereefdivers Scuba Academy provides sponsors with unique opportunities to make a difference in the lives of destitute children by helping to secure a future in the diving industry. Sponsors also benefit from the in-direct participation in marine clean-ups, data collection and overall marine conservation.
We aim to achieve our objectives by involving companies, private individuals, as well as representatives of the diving industry in this exciting initiative by offering the following benefits:
- As an initiative for the Jakaranda Children’s Home, the Bluereefdivers Scuba Academy project provides sponsors the security of an established community-based brand and will conduct its fund-raising activities under the auspices of the Jakaranda Children’s Home.
- The project will be spearheaded by a management committee comprising experienced individuals form the Jakaranda Children’s Home. The committee’s responsibilities will include the overall management of its sponsors’ participation in the project, planning and conducting the project, as well as planning and conducting the project’s overall fundraising initiatives.
- All funding will be managed by the Jakaranda Children’s Home.
- Sponsors names/logos will receive exposure on the Jakaranda Children’s Home website and in the company newsletters. Branding opportunities will also be available to companies at fundraising events in the form of banners and branded collateral, applicable to the type of fundraising function. Sponsors will receive regular updates and ongoing feedback by the managing committee pertaining the progress of the scuba academy, including all the latest news and events.
Jakaranda Children’s Home
012-800 4700 / 073 844 9266
PADI Master Instructor
+2782 453 8694